Unauthorised ‘Kill the Bill’ protest marches on G7 media centre on final day of summit

Protestors face off with the police | Luke Court

Protests have continued in Cornwall on the final day of the G7 summit in Carbis Bay.

Click here to see the Anchor’s coverage of yesterday’s protests.

Devon and Cornwall Police described traffic disruption caused by a roadblock set up by protestors in St Erth, Hayle, and around 25 Extinction Rebellion protestors blocked the only road out of St Ives.

A climate demonstration took place on the beach in St Ives, with live music and dancing.

Police outside the G7 media centre in Falmouth | Luke Court

Attendees of an unauthorised “Kill the Bill” protest assembled outside the Princess Pavilion in Falmouth.

This is the eighth “Kill the Bill” protest in Falmouth, opposing the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill introduced earlier this year.

The proposed law would introduce new police powers and review crime and justice rules across England and Wales. Police would have the ability to impose conditions on any protest which is deemed disruptive to the local community, and protestors could receive up to 10 years in prison for damaging memorials, such as statues.

The Resist G7 Coalition, the organisers of the protest, said: “The media centre has its own exclusion zone. Approved journalists from the billionaire press are spinning the G7. An exclusion zone has been set up to report the essential news of what the world leaders and their spouses are wearing.”

The group added: “Police liaised, police approved protest is not protest. Our rights were won through noisy, disruptive and annoying protest. Kill the Bill Cornwall does not liaise with the police. We do not ask permission to protest.”

The location of the event was given only 15 minutes before it was scheduled to begin at 1pm, and turnout was relatively low compared to yesterday’s protests.

Campaigners marched from the Princess Pavilion car park to the G7 international media centre, where around 50 people, many wearing black balaclavas, chanted anti-police slogans.

Chants included: “Say her name: Sarah Everard”, “It’s 2021, not nineteen eighty-f***ing-four”, and “F*** the pigs.”

Line of police outside the G7 media centre in Falmouth | Luke Court

There was a heavy police presence outside the media centre—around two dozen officers, with additional backup in police vans across Falmouth.

Police remained peaceful when confronted by protestors. There were chants of “Harry Roberts killed coppers” when facing off with lines of police outside the media centre. Harry Roberts participated in the 1966 Shepards Bush murders in London, where three policemen were shot dead.

Protestors on a fence outside the G7 media centre in Falmouth | Saksha Menezes

Protestors waved flags in front of police cameras, climbed on to fences outside the media centre, and refused to obey police instructions.

Protestors had an “open mic”, with many telling stories of their poor experiences with the police.