Bottle Match: CSM vs RSM Rugby

Written by Adam Hinchliff-Walz |

RSM ran out deserved winners in what turned out to be a difficult game for the holders of the bottle. The first half onslaught by RSM proved too much for CSM as they fell to a 15-5 defeat.

RSM started the half well and a series of penalties by CSM in the first twenty minutes gave them a commanding position in the CSM half. These penalties resulted in several line-outs for RSM, close to the CSM try line, but the defence held firm making some huge tackles as the game went on. RSM’s position was always likely to result in a score and they nearly made one of the penalties count fifteen minutes in, but the kick was short.

This respite was short lived for CSM, however, as RSM ran over their first try on the 27th minute as their outside centre broke through a few tackles before grounding the ball. The conversion was added to make it 7-0.

The RSM pressure continued after the kick off and CSM struggled to leave their half as CSM gave away more penalties. RSM carried on pushing for the line rather than opting to attempt the scoring any of the penalties which culminated in a line out 10 metres from the CSM try line.

RSM pushed on with their forwards to and gained another penalty, this time on the CSM 5 metre line – they kept it in the forwards for several phases before passing out the left wing to score their second try of the match in the 35th minute. The conversion was not successful, leaving the score at 12-0.

CSM showed signs of promise in the final 5 minutes of the half, as a break on the right wing gained them a penalty. The resulting line-out unfortunately came to nothing though and the half ended there.

The second half saw a revitalised CSM camped in the RSM half, piling on as much pressure as their opponents had in the first half. This time CSM were on the receiving end of several penalty decisions as they pushed towards the RSM try line.

The CSM forwards kept it tight as they gained marginal ground until the ball was sent wide for CSM’s own number 13, Bryn Llewellyn, to score an almost carbon copy of RSM’s second try, in the 43rd minute. The conversion was not added, leaving the score at 12-5.

CSM continued to dominate as several well-placed kicks gained behind the RSM back line them the territory to continue increasing the pressure on RSM’s try line. The 46th minute saw a great chance go begging for CSM as they held their scrum on RSM’s 22 before playing it on the blind side, but the pass to the wing was agonisingly missed and the chance fell away.

CSM continued playing well and created an opening in the centre of the field before passing it out to the left wing. This pass was dropped and RSM had the scrum. They broke from the scrum and CSM gave away a penalty at their 10 metre line, as a result of which, CSM’s number 11, Harry Gardener (Not sure if I should use name?), got a yellow card.

This signalled a change of emphasis in the match as RSM slowly grew into the half. Both teams utilised their kicking game as the ball was pinged between the back lines until CSM dropped a catch. RSM gained a lineout after the resulting scrum and pushed on to receive a penalty. They went for goal again and were successful with this one, taking the score to 15-5 in the 69th minute.

RSM continued to control the game for the final 10 minutes and, despite a late push for RSM’s try line by CSM, the match ended 15-5 to RSM.

The result was probably fair given the dominance RSM showed in the first half but CSM were unlucky in the second not to get a second try and can be proud of the way they fought back after the break.