Camborne School of Mines 1 Holman Sports Club 0 – REPORT

Written by Michael Tait |


The sun beamed down on Camborne School of Mines as George Dempster scored the only goal of the game, sealing all three points at Falmouth School.



FT: CSM 1-0 Holman Sports

CSM were much the better side for the duration of the game; they could have won by 3 or even 4 goals if it wasn’t for the excellent saves of the away side’s goalkeeper but the win was slightly overshadowed by the red card shown to CSM’s Mike Hinkin, for a two-footed challenge.

CSM dominated the first 15 minutes of the game, keeping the ball well and creating the first chances of the game including a shot being hit over the bar from one of many corners the home side were awarded. Holman Sports struggled to keep possession in the first half and gave the ball away cheaply on numerous occasions. Sports were at their most dangerous on the counter-attack, which nearly worked in their favour 20 minutes in but CSM goalkeeper Jim Linehan (who had little to do up until this point) was quick off his line to clear.

The best chances of the game came just before halftime, with a good counter-attacking move from Sports resulting in a corner which almost crept into the top right-hand post. CSM had a late chance of their own when a nice move down the left resulting in a shot that was only a whisker wide of the mark.


“At halftime, it was evident that CSM were on the front foot”


At halftime, it was evident that CSM were on the front foot during the first 45 but their finishing let them down, while the away side created few clear-cut chances.

The second half started in much the same fashion with CSM being the most likely to score. But chances continued to go astray, including two CSM freekicks. The first went straight into the hands of the Sports keeper (who had been one of Sports best players so far) and the second was curled into the box but was missed by everyone, as it fizzled out and away for a goal kick to Sports.

The Sports defence were clearly worked hard in this game and with legs starting to tire, the back line made a terrible error; but CSM were unable to profit as the shot went wide of the right-hand post.

CSM finally broke the deadlock at 68 minutes, when George Dempster beat the away team’s goalkeeper with a low shot into the left-hand corner of the net. It was coming from the home side who had created the better chances throughout the game.



In the final 10 minutes – plus added time- CSM were under a fair bit of pressure and gave away a few free kicks, one of which resulted in a yellow card to the striker. Sports, despite their best efforts and pushing all but the keeper into the CSM box, were unable to draw level.


CSM Team

1 Jim Linehan

2 Roly Dickinson

3 Matt Pyman

4 Ross Parker

5 Mike Hinkin (R)

6 Tom Foulk

7 George Dempster

8 jack Ukiah

9 Ethan Nichols

10 sav Carrera

11 Albert Lawrenson

12 Rob cock

14 Ernest Wereko

17 Marcus moreen


(R) Red card (sent off)

Venue: Falmouth School (3G pitch)