Bottle Match 2018: CSM FC storm to 3-1 victory over RSM

Matt Solomons reporting from Dracaena Centre, Falmouth

credit: Matt Chandler

Camborne School of Mines FC defeated the Royal School of Mines with a 3 -1 victory today on the first day of the 116th Bottle Match.

In sunny, but cold conditions on the infamously boggy Dracaena Centre pitch, CSM started the game cautiously with RSM having the majority on the possession. They were almost rewarded after just four minutes as a powerful header from the RSM striker cannoned off the crossbar and onto the CSM goal line. Fortunately for the home team, appeals for a goal were waved away by the referee.

credit: Matt Chandler

The first quarter of the match saw CSM on the back foot with a number of headed chances wasted by RSM and some sloppy fouls given away by CSM. This culminated in centre-back Michael Hinkin entering the book on 35 minutes for a hard tackle and subsequent retaliation with a RSM player, who was also cautioned.

Just three minutes later, against the run of play, CSM went 1-0 in front through a well-taken goal from striker Ethan Nichols. A long-ball found it’s way to the number 9, who managed to poke the ball over the keeper and into the open net.

credit: AJ Burstow

It seemed as if CSM could hold on to their lead until half-time, however a whipped-in free-kick from a RSM midfielder beat everyone, including Ed Selvey in goal, to fly in at the back post. A disheartening blow for CSM as the half-time whistle blew.

credit: Matt Chandler

As play resumed, with Albert Lawrenson and Roly Dickinson being replaced by George Dempster and Tom Foulk respectively, CSM started the stronger and regained their lead through a fantastic goal by Michael Hinkin on 53 minutes. His glancing header at the back post gave the RSM keeper no chance and was met with jubilations from the ever excited home crowd.

credit: AJ Burstow

Momentum was clearly in CSM’s favour as shortly after on 66 minutes, a looping ball in the box was not dealt with by the RSM defence only to be headed backwards under the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner by winger, Joshua Squires. His vigilance throughout the match was rewarded with this somewhat unconventional effort.

credit: AJ Burstow

It was here where RSM’s tiredness was beginning to show and CSM were clearly in control. With no energy left to suggest a comeback, the final whistle came as a relief to RSM who were confirmed to have been defeated 3-1 by a triumphant CSM!

credit: Matt Chandler

CSM goalkeeper, Ed Selvey, spoke to the Anchor after the match and said it felt ‘really good to win, especially after last year’s defeat’. Congratulations to all the players on a hard-fought win!

CSM Starting XI: 4-5-1

GK: E. Selvey

DEF: R. Dickinson, D. Fawcett, M. Hinkin, G. Holroyd

MID: A. Lawrenson, S. Carrera, L. Judge, E. Wereko, J. Squires

ATT: E. Nichols

Final Score: 

CSM 3 – 1 RSM


Ethan Nichols (35′), Michael Hinkin (53′), Joshua Squires (66′)


Michael Hinkin