FX Union clinch win in cup semi-final


Harry Jacobs describes the action as FX Union reach the final of the league cup after extra-time

FX Union went into their league cup tie against Falmouth Athletico full of confidence, following on from their 4-1 victory in the last meeting between the teams. However, as the match got underway, Union struggled to find a rhythm and Athletico were looking promising in the final third. As the pressure continued to build, FXU’s defence cracked and conceded an early goal. The setback was tough for Union to surmount as the team continued to be on the back foot, despite a high work rate from Melchior du Cluzeau and Phil Doherty in the centre of the park. As the first half wore on, FXU managed to fight their way back into the game through several well-worked passages of play. But the Athletico defence stood resolute and ensured their team held a narrow lead as both sides headed to the changing rooms at the end of the half.

photo: Lucy Ranson
photo: Lucy Ranson

Following some enthusiastic analysis of the team’s performance, FX Union headed out for the second half with a renewed fervour to advance through this semi-final clash. Yet, although FXU were the dominant side as play resumed, a defensive mix-up enabled Falmouth Athletico to double their lead. Not deterred, Union threw themselves forwards with valiant effort, and play from Jack Orford and Jack Holman down the wings created some notable chances. But it was defender, Marcus Knevett, who got FXU on the score sheet with a phenomenal long range strike that sailed past the Athletico goalkeeper and into the top corner of the net.

With the momentum now firmly on their side, Union continued to mount pressure on the Athletico defence. However, Falmouth continued to enjoy some breakthrough chances and FXU keeper, Dan Hollings, was instrumental in ensuring his team had a fighting chance to level the game up. The attacking abilities of FXU finally came to fruition with a towering header from substitute striker, Daniel Wilcox, equalising the score towards the end of the second half. Whilst both sides continued to display some excellent football, it was clear that 90 minutes was not enough to separate them and the referees’ whistle marked the entrance into extra time.

photo: Lucy Ranson
photo: Lucy Ranson

As the two teams returned to the pitch, a steady downpour greeted them, pairing with the bitter cold and trodden pitch to set the stage for a tense conclusion. FXU entered extra time with a searing desire to wrap things up within the next 30 minutes, a desire reflected in the goal scored by Jack Orford a mere one minute after kick off. The lead gave Union the confidence to drive at Athletico relentlessly and the fresh legs of Harry Poole and Charlie Pugh kept the team ticking. Following another bursting attack from the wing, forward, Daniel Wilcox, added another goal to his ever growing total to make the score 4-2 to FXU, a score line which held until the final whistle. FX Union Manager Joe Crisp hailed his boys’ performance as ‘an outstanding display of both football and character’.

FX Union will face Mullion in a league fixture at home on Sunday the 13th of November.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.