Doherty double sees Union on the way to second victory in as many weeks

Daniel Wilcox
Photography: Laura Bailey


Goalscorer Daniel Wilcox in action for Union
Man of the match, Rob Stephenson






FX Union recorded their second win of the season in convincing fashion away to Porthleven FC. Taking much encouragement off the back of their 5-1 demolition of Porthleven last weekend, Union played with the same confidence and attacking prowess that once again proved too strong for the hosts.

Union took the lead with route-one football, Phil Doherty latching on to a Daniel Wilcox headed flick on to finish smartly and open the scoring. Porthleven responded quickly and levelled the score with a bullet header from a well-delivered corner. However it was Union who had most of the first half chances, owing especially to the introduction of Reuben Walker after 30 minutes. Walker gave Union extra impetus and pace, causing all manner of problems for the Porthleven defence. Rob Stephenson, making his competitive debut for Union, was instrumental in setting up several union attacks, and protected the back four superbly with some crucial challenges, earning him man of the match. It was from Stephenson’s free kick, a dangerous in-swinging ball, that Union retook the lead after the Porthleven keeper punched the ball into his own teammate for an own goal. A plethora of chances fell to Union in the last 5 minutes of the first half but none were converted and the first 45 concluded at 2-1 to Union.

Union started the first half brilliantly, scoring a wonderfully well-worked goal. Some patient build up brought the ball out of defence and into midfield, where Melchior de Cluzeau found an inch perfect pass to completely open up the Porthleven defence. Doherty was on the end of the pass and nonchalantly slotted home, with a finish that was reminiscent of Theo Walcott’s strike for England against Estonia earlier this week. The Union defence were relatively untroubled in the second half, bar a few well-timed challenges and clearances from captain Joe Crisp who, alongside Harry Baker and Marcus Knevett, nullified the Porthleven threat.

Jai Sadiwala goes close to scoring for Fx Union

Union continued to press for more goals, with Pete Wilcock’s pace at right wing back and Oussama Kardi in the number 10 role proving a handful for the Porthleven defence. Indeed, manager Guill McIvor commented after the game that “the team put together some of the best attacking football we’ve played to date”. Daniel Wilcox was next to add to the score-sheet, after latching onto a Sam Johnson ball over the top, Wilcox finished with an acute angle that nestled in the bottom corner. Union were now cruising, and enjoying the wonderful surface at Gala Park, they pressed on for a 5th goal to match their tally from last week. Chances did fall to Guill McIvor, Jai Sadiwala and Reuben Walker but it wasn’t to be and the game ended with a nevertheless impressive 4-1 victory for Union.

McIvor was understandably delighted with his team after the game and hailed a “second half display that really impressed” remarking on Union’s relentless work rate. McIvor did issue a warning to his side, noting that there will be “tougher tests in the weeks to come, starting with Shortslanesend next week”. However he’s adamant that “more performances like today should see us carry on climbing the table”. For now, Union will be buoyed by 2 wins on the bounce including 9 goals, and look ahead with quiet optimism for a prosperous October.